Colonel Craig S. Baumgartner became the Transatlantic Division Deputy Commander on August 9, 2021. Baumgartner most recently served as Chief of Staff, HQDA G-3/5/7 (DAMO-SS) and prior to that assignment, served as the Combined Joint-Engineer Branch Head, Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan (CSTC-A) and Commander and District Engineer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District, headquartered on Arsenal Island in Rock Island, Ill. He commissioned in the United States Army Corps of Engineers in May 1993 from the United States Military Academy at West Point, NY.
Baumgartner also served as Battalion Commander of the 15th Engineer Battalion in Schweinfurt, Germany and during a combat tour in support of Operations New Dawn and Enduring Freedom; Deputy Brigade Commander of 18th Engineer Brigade in Schweinfurt, Germany; and Command Engineer of United States Army Cyber and Second Army at Fort Meade, Maryland.
Other previous assignments include:
- Platoon Leader and Company Executive Officer, 317th Engineer Battalion, Fort Benning, Georgia including an operational deployment to Saudi Arabia/Kuwait in support of Operation Vigilant Warrior.
- Adjutant and Company Commander, 1st Engineer Battalion, Fort Riley, Kansas including an operational deployment to Bosnia-Herzegovina in support of Stabilization Force-6.
- Engineer Trainer, 3d Battalion, 307th Regiment, 87th Division (Training Support), Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
- Engineer Future Operations Officer (G35), Coalition Forces Land Component Command, Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom I/II and Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Brigade Engineer, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Georgia including a combat tour in Tikrit, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III.
- Battalion S3, 1-3 Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, including a combat tour in Ramadi, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom V.
- Joint Engineer Observer/Trainer for United States Joint Forces Command (USJFCOM) in Norfolk, Virginia.
Baumgartner holds a Bachelors Degree in Engineering Management from the United States Military Academy, West Point, NY, a Masters Degree in Engineering Management from the University of Missouri Science and Technology, and a Masters Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies from the U.S. Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island. His military education includes the U.S. Army War College Senior Leader Seminar, U.S. Army War College Fellowship Program (in residence at Syracuse University), Joint Combined Warfighter School, College of Naval Command and Staff, Combined Arms and Services Staff School, and Engineer Officer Advanced and Basic Courses.
Baumgartner’s military awards and decorations include the Legion of Merit Medal (2 OLC), Bronze Star Medal (3 OLC), Defense Meritorious Service Medal (1 OLC), and Meritorious Service Medal (3 OLCs). His badges include the Combat Action Badge and Parachutist Badge. He is also an Engineer Regiment Silver de Fleury Medal recipient.
Baumgartner is married to his lovely wife Audra and they have two sons, John ‘Taylor’ (23) and Will (18).